Temporary Logo

Welcome

I've been looking for some other CP/IP (Chronic/Intractable Pain) patients who would like to contribute to this site, whether one time, sporadic, or regularly. If anyone is interested, please email me at IntractablePainKills@gmail.com

I'm also open to any suggestions about improving the blog.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT ON ANY POST, PLEASE CLICK ON THE TITLE TO LOAD THE INDIVIDUAL POST.


DUE TO A GLITCH IN BLOGGER, MY POSTS DO NOT ALWAYS POST IN ORDER BECAUSE THEY POST USING THE TIME THAT I STARTED THE INITIAL DRAFT. I DO MY BEST TO CORRECT THIS WHENEVER POSSIBLE, HOWEVER SOME SLIP BY, SO PLEASE REMEMBER TO READ THE TITLES OF MORE THAN JUST THE MOST RECENT POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS ANYTHING.

Monday, April 7, 2014

FDA: Naloxone Injector Not Just for Drug Abusers - National Pain Report

FDA: Naloxone Injector Not Just for Drug Abusers - National Pain Report

This is SCARY! This device would be scary enough, but to advocate its use on pain patients is somewhere between malpractice & medical terrorism. Instead of reposting my thoughts here, I've included the comments that say it all.
Even if unconscious, it is illegal to administer naloxone unless you are a doctor or an EMT being actively advised by a physician. I doubt that these laypeople will bother along for consent. Without significantly training (like the REMS programs for Accutane & Xyrem), this is scary.
Why was this rushed through approval?
~~~~~
Kurt says:
April 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm
I guess I need a new Medic Alert tab for my necklace in case I faint the next time I am in Safeways shopping for dinner, and succumb to shock over the high prices they’re charging these days for a pound of hamburger.
I am a chronic pain patient maintained on opiates.
DO NOT INJECT WITH NALOXONE. I am opiate tolerant and not likely to overdose on opiates. Naloxone could put me into immediate opiate withdrawal causing a health crisis.
Lord keep us safe from do-gooders.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve says:
April 7, 2014 at 6:36 pm
Exactly, Kurt! Thank you!...
[trimmed]
...I’m considering a permanent tattoo claiming allergy to naloxone. I already have a DNR refusing naloxone, but where I live DNRs are ignored in the prehospital setting (ambulance, etcetera), which is why I’m thinking about the allergy tattoo, I’d love your thoughts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve says:
April 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm
Naloxone only reverses opioids, but the vast majority of overdose deaths are not opioid only, they usually involve alcohol and/or benzodiazepines (Valium/diazepam, Xanax/alprazolam, Ativan/lorazepam, etcetera)
This is deeply rooted in opiophobia.
Also, of they really wanted to help people, it would be OTC or OTC worth log book (like pseudoephedrine/Sudafed), but then they wouldn’t benefit from Rx insurance reimbursement. This should be “Pharmacy Only Medicine”, like Imitrex in the UK, where you don’t need a doctor’s prescription, just counseling with the pharmacist (slightly more restricted than Sudafed because training should be required).
This product is used to COMPLETELY reverse opioids, which is fine for an opioid-naive overdose, but would kill an opioid tolerant IP patients like myself. Without dose control, it could kill. Without dose control, I’d imagine most Heroin addicts will refuse a dose because every documentary that I’ve seen involves a human going around with naloxone and they always have trouble convincing these people to take the naloxone. They frequently convince them to take half of a dose.
Pain patients rarely overdose. Family members who can’t mind their own business and don’t know ANYTHING about opioids will abuse this and/or abuse their pain patient family members.
This is all about money, generic naloxone is ~$0.50/dose
Steve